Thursday, March 25, 2010

Social Media... how it runs our lives!!!

Hello all!

We watched this video in my Communication Theory class. I found it to be very interesting. It just goes to show how technology has come to run our lives, and that social media is not a fad. Some of the statists it lists are very surprising, while some are not so surprising. Please watch!! I think you'll find some of it shocking, but also interesting. :) Some of things it lists make me sick. Just thinking about how much we all use social media! I am a victim of this as well, but maybe I will cut back more now that I've seen this and go for a walk outside, or read a book. No wonder communication has declined and we're now run by technology.

Some stats I liked are:
  • It will take 13 years for TV to reach 50 million users, 4 years for the internet, 3 years for the iPod... Facebook added more than 100 million users in less than 9 months! iPod apps hit 100 billion downloads in less than 9 months!
  • If Facebook were a country, it would be the 4th largest in the world!
  • Ashton Kutcher and Ellen have more Twitter followers than the entire population of Ireland, Norway, and Panama!
  • Studies have shown that Wikipedia is more accurate than Encyclopedia Brittanica!
  • 24 of the 25 largest newspaper chains have reported record declines in circulation!

No comments: